Welcome to Kindergarten!

There is a wonderful sense of home when you walk through the front doors of Samsula Academy. I deeply believe that your child will find our school to be a warm and friendly place. I am very proud to be a part of the Samsula Academy School family. Once you have opened those doors you are a member of our family too.

I wish to welcome you to Kindergarten. Kindergarten is a new and exciting time for you and your child. It’s a time of change… new beginnings, new friends, new challenges and exciting discoveries! I would like to take this opportunity to express my sincere appreciation for allowing me to be a part of your child’s life during this precious time of growth and discovery!

This is my honor to welcome you and your child into Kindergarten and into… my life. I will do my best to make this year in Kindergarten enjoyable but also filled with academics. My motto is: “The seeds I plant today will blossom into a flower tomorrow.” It will be my pleasure and privilege to watch your child’s personality and learning abilities blossom and unfold day by day.

I run a very effective classroom which is well structured but allows for fun and growth. I hold high expectations for all my students. Furthermore, I strongly believe in differentiated instruction. Research reveals that all students learn differently. Therefore, I plan my lessons to meet the needs of all students. It will be my honor to expand the growing minds of tomorrow and encourage them to become the great leaders of the new generation.

You will find very useful information on this blog. I will update it with events that are happening in our classroom, student work, and other related events. If you have any questions, you may contact me at cgibbs@readingedgeacademy.org

-Mr. Christopher Gibbs

W for a Wonderful Week!

This has been a very exciting week in Mr. Gibbs' kindergarten class! We accomplished a lot and learned so much! We learned in various ways this week. We watched a movie, learned a song, and completed several hands-on activities in different areas of the curriculum. The activity the children enjoyed most was on Monday. On Monday (as posted below) children practiced writing the letter Bb with shaving cream. "It was fun getting messy," said Trevor R. I must agree, learning is not always clean - it's okay to get messy!

We continued working with patterns this week. We focused on identifying the pattern unit (the part of a pattern that repeats itself). This was a very difficult concept for the children to understand. During our math roations, we had fun creating, predicting, and extend shape patterns. We also make a weaving craft with Mrs. Shannon. Children in Mr. Gibbs' class enjoy learning through the use of hands-on activities! On Friday, we used autumn candy corn to copy (AB, ABC, and AAB) patterns. Children also had to predict which came next. This was a very fun activity and the children enjoyed it. I do this activity every year and once again, it was a hit!

This week, we learned all about the importance of fire safety. We learned proper procedures to use during a fire. During our afternoon workshops, we created several crafts that relate to fire prevention. These are currently being displayed in our classroom and will be going home shortly. Firehydrant Freddy was a hit with the students. We used shapes to create a firehydrant and added eyes to our character. On Friday, a group of firefighters came to share more information on fire safety. This was a great way to show children that what we learn relates to real life. Children enjoyed it! The children even had a chance to take control of the hose!


The terrific kid this week is McKenzie Graham! McKenzie follows all classroom and school rules. McKenzie also goes above and beyond with her work. I am so proud of McKenzie and all that she has accomplished. McKenzie recieved a McDolands gift certificate and a bumper sticker. McKenzie had a great week. McKenzie did a great job summing up our week, "We had a lot of fun!" Yes McKenzie, we did!





This week, we ready a book titled What Do You Like? This week, I sent a note home asking you to send a picture to school of your child with something they like to do. On Friday, we put the pictures together, wrote words, and create a book! Our book is very similar but includes pictures and words of things we like to do. Mr. Gibbs even has his own page. For those who did not send in a picture, there is still time. I can always unbind the book, include the picture, help write the words, and bind it up again! Please stop by and see our book we made together. We are becoming great readers and writers!


Below is our animoto from our math activity. I hope you enjoy watching all the videos that I post because I enjoy making them.


We will be learning three letters next week. We will be working with Hh, Dd, and Rr. We will learn to recognize the letter and will also learn the sounds. We will continue blending words in phonics with letter sounds that we already know. We will also have a spelling test on -ad and -an words this week (the results from the first test were OUTSTANDING!). In math, we will continue working with patterns with another fun activity on friday. Our theme this week is going to be 'falling into fall.' The afternoon workshops will all be related to the season. We will be making decorations for the season, creating pinecone birdfeeders, and tracing fall leaves. Remember to review ALL Dolch words with your child. We will also finish our digital storybook this week. Please practice the card that was sent home with your child. Remember to return it on Monday. Your child will recite it for Mrs. Riddle for our digital storybook.

Classroom Wishlist:
-Staples Easy Button - to be used during Phonics and Math!
-Watercolor Paint w/ Brush
-Washable Paint (red, yellow, green, blue, brown, etc...)
-Anything! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment