Welcome to Kindergarten!

There is a wonderful sense of home when you walk through the front doors of Samsula Academy. I deeply believe that your child will find our school to be a warm and friendly place. I am very proud to be a part of the Samsula Academy School family. Once you have opened those doors you are a member of our family too.

I wish to welcome you to Kindergarten. Kindergarten is a new and exciting time for you and your child. It’s a time of change… new beginnings, new friends, new challenges and exciting discoveries! I would like to take this opportunity to express my sincere appreciation for allowing me to be a part of your child’s life during this precious time of growth and discovery!

This is my honor to welcome you and your child into Kindergarten and into… my life. I will do my best to make this year in Kindergarten enjoyable but also filled with academics. My motto is: “The seeds I plant today will blossom into a flower tomorrow.” It will be my pleasure and privilege to watch your child’s personality and learning abilities blossom and unfold day by day.

I run a very effective classroom which is well structured but allows for fun and growth. I hold high expectations for all my students. Furthermore, I strongly believe in differentiated instruction. Research reveals that all students learn differently. Therefore, I plan my lessons to meet the needs of all students. It will be my honor to expand the growing minds of tomorrow and encourage them to become the great leaders of the new generation.

You will find very useful information on this blog. I will update it with events that are happening in our classroom, student work, and other related events. If you have any questions, you may contact me at cgibbs@readingedgeacademy.org

-Mr. Christopher Gibbs

Kindergarten visits Mrs. Riddle

"Mr. Gibbs', do we get to go there everyday?"
"No, not everyday."
"Almost everyday?"
"No, but we will make several visits throughout the year."
"AWESOME!"

That was a brief conversation I shared with a student today after our first visit to the learning center at Samsula Academy!
The children fell in love with the learning center immediately. This year, Mrs. Johanna Riddle is helping Samsula Academy by combining a library with a technology infused research environment. The children loved the colors, small tables, and even Mrs. Riddle! Mrs. Riddle taught the children how to take good care of the books in the library and even allowed students to select books for further reading (which will be used in our classroom). At the end of our time, Zane (who was hugging his book) walked out the door. As he was walking out, he turned to Mrs. Riddle and said, "Mrs. Riddle, I am starting to love you already!" What a great, joyous experience! This is truly what learning is all about. Mrs. Riddle also introduced children to library camera. Children learned how to properly use the camera. As I stated before, we are currently working on making a digital storybook. Kindergarten is truly going digital, with the help of Mrs. Riddle. Below is a short video, created by Mrs. Riddle of our experience today! I am so happy and proud of each and every child. They behaved so well and are so ready to explore the world of books and technology.



Remember that tomorrow, we will be celebrating Johnny Appleseed! We will be making applesauce in the morning and will be eating it in the afternoon. We will be finishing our apple crafts tomorrow. Your child will also be tested on the next set of Dolch words tomorrow. Remember to continue practicing with our great readers!

Weekly Dolch Words: is, it, jump, look, little
Other Words to Know: the, see, like, go
Weekly Letters/Sounds: Nn and Cc

Remember to check the B.E.E folder daily (Bring Everything Everyday). Please take everything out of the folder before sending it back with your child the next day. The B.E.E folder contains graded work, letters, and sometimes additional practice of skills and strategies. Mrs. Shannon and I have been sending home several small books with your child. These books are in the B.E.E folder and are books your child can read. We are already readers! Wow!

Also, I would like to mention the importance of phonics. I run a very structured phonics rotunine. Research has shown that successful phonics instruction leads to successful readers in later grades. Your child knows how to properly blend words and would be more than willing to show you. It is important to practice blending basic CVC words with your child. I will be posting a video of the routinue so that you know how to best practice with your child. Thanks for all you do!

0 comments:

Post a Comment